Digital Chum - Virtual fish guts and other nonsense

April, 2015:

I’ve been framed!

Building the back wall The framing of the garage started on Thursday and continued through Friday. After a bunch of prep work and measuring, they framed up the back wall of the garage which has a door and three windows. They built the main part of the wall flat on the floor and then used their forklift to hoist it into place, nailing it to the sill plate.


Hoisting the wall Hoisting the wall

The weather really treated us well and the rain stopped before 6:00 am on Friday morning. The day turned beautiful and the framing started up again around 7:30. They framed up the end exterior wall and then continued around the corner to the entry door and two of the three garage doors. They couldn’t do the last door yet (the one closest to the house) because they’ll have to remove the roof of the existing garage for that to happen and they weren’t ready to do that yet.

Going around the corner Two of three doors completed!

The main support beam for the garageSome time around noon, the beam was delivered that will span the garage. Wayne (Co-Del Construction) found a used beam from a building that was getting ripped apart in Red Lion, and he saved us a bunch of money by doing that. They’re planning on putting the beam up Monday or Tuesday, I think.


After lunch, they framed up the internal walls and then started putting the sheathing on the exterior walls and it really started to look like an actual building. By the time they left for the day, they had all the exterior walls covered and had framed around as far as they could go at this stage.

Exterior sheathing Look! Real walls! It almost looks like an actual garage!

Big garage doorsOur garage doors are oversized and standing next to one made that quite evident. I should have no trouble parking my M1 Abrams tank in the garage, which is good because I hate leaving it out in the rain.


So… here’s the final shot from up the bank at the end of the garage. Things are really shaping up!Shaping up!

Foundation Stuff

No more garage door!Last week was a busy week. I didn’t do any updates because a lot of the work was not particularly interesting from a picture standpoint. Now that it’s all done and some additional foundation work was done, there are plenty of pictures that show the progress much better.

Inside the garageThey finished all the block work for both the garage wing and the master bedroom wing. In the process, we had to lose one of our garage doors because they had to cut a huge chunk out of the concrete floor to run some pipes and tie in that part of the existing floor to the new floor of the new garage.  The second picture is on the other side of the no-longer-existing garage door.

Losing the garage piece by piece

As you can see, they also removed the bottom half of the wall at the end of the existing garage. That was a really bizarre sight to see when I got home that day. They didn’t remove the entire wall for a couple reasons, one of them being weather. The other reason is that the electrical panel is on that wall and they’re not ready to have that moved yet.

Master bedroom wing foundation wallThe master bedroom wing block walls are all done as well. In this picture, they’re not quite done, but they were the next day. They ran short of the right kind of block for the rest of the top row (on the right side of the picture). They only needed about twelve more blocks. Doh! But now that is all done and it’s about ready to have the floor poured as soon as some electrical fixtures are set up for an in-floor outlet in the library.

Future computer room door Back inside the garage they also removed all the drywall and the plywood from the attic space. They knocked out the back wall and framed it out for the pocket door that will lead from a hallway into the computer room. That was another disconcerting scene to see when I got home, though I didn’t notice it when I walked past the first time. The second time, I did a jump-back, wide-eyed double-take when I noticed it!

They poured the entire new garage floor on Monday, April 13th starting very early in the morning. The floor took just over two truck loads of concrete. For the third load, they got enough to pour the computer room floor as well, so now two out of three foundation floors are all poured and ready to go!

First truck load of the day!

First truck load of the day!

Spreading the concrete around

Spreading the concrete around

Finishing it up

Finishing it up

Computer room foundation

Computer room foundation


Now the house won't be stolen!

Lori engraved our names in one corner of the garage floor, including a 2014 penny for the year we bought the property and a paw print for the cats. I told Lori I thought it was a good idea to have our names engraved on it so nobody could steal the house.

Just for good measure, Yoda inspected the new garage floor and seemed to approve. Time to frame it up!

Yoda approves.

More block walls

Back corner of house

Back corner of house – garage and computer room

The block walls around the garage and the computer room are all finished. The masons were working on the master bedroom wing walls today and are almost finished there as well. They won’t be around on Thursday and it’s supposed to rain on Friday, so we may have to wait until next week to see all the walls completed.

Other things will probably happen during that time, but we don’t know exactly what yet.

Computer room

Computer room

Computer room

Computer room

Master bedroom wing

Master bedroom wing

Master bedroom wing

Master bedroom wing

Master bedroom wing

Master bedroom wing

Master bedroom wing - Fireplace/Porch bump out

Master bedroom wing – Fireplace/Porch bump out

Soda storage!

Soda storage!